Friday, May 2, 2008


I guess I'm in kind of a funky mood today. Not depressed, but thoughtful. Not getting much done, but why should I? Found this great collection of unissued songs with Johnny and June together. Takes me back. I find that I want to reflect on the past more than I used to these days, maybe sign that my past now far outweighs my probable future. I'm not looking at the past as nostalgia, but trying to regain the intensity of feeling, the sights, sounds, textures of things in those days. I was thinking about my grandmonther's gift shop. She had a gift shop, in downtown Williamsport, Pa., for about 40 years. Started by her father and mother, at a different location. She, my father's mother, was quite a capable person, and independent. Divorced my granddad in the 40's (that's another story), and raised three kids on her own. Took over the family business, sometime in the early 1950's. When I about 10, she used to let me hang around with her at the store. I'm sure I was in the way, but she let me think I was helping. I was fascinated by how she dealt with the customers, and vendors, and seemed to really enjoy the routine. She used to let me help her unpack new merchandise, and pack things to send to customers. She had "high end" gifts, such as Lenox china, nice glassware, and other miscellaneous nick nacks. She had been the wife of a local doctor, and thus had at one time rubbed elbows for what passed for high class society in Williamsport, an older lumber/river town in central Pa. All the better families came to her for wedding gifts, anniversary gifts, etc. Once a year, she would take a trip to New York, for the merchandise show. She did this well into her 80's. I think she finally quit the businsess around 1985, after cracking up her car, and her kids pressured her to quit. She entered a nursing home in her early 90's, and lived to be 99. Sharp as a tack well into her 90's, and a great person. I still miss her, and think of her all the time. She made me think I was the "little prince", when I was a kid.

No comments: